[bbfcl] Southern P-S 50 ft Boxcars Series 5000-5499

D. Scott Chatfield

[This was posted to the Baby Boomers Freight Car List.  Fowarded here to see if anyone has modeled these series yet.]

https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=87048

>There are also good as-built photos of these in both the Southern and Pullman-Standard color guides.

> Has anyone ever done a model of these (or something close) in HO? Did any other roads get the same or similar cars?

and I replied:

The CofG got 200 nearly identical cars (series 3500-3699) at the same time, which makes me wonder if they were bought for a pool to serve a large customer.  Perhaps Ford?  These cars are basically 50-foot single-door versions of the 60-foot double-plug autoparts boxes built for the Ford Pool.  Athearn has made the 60-footers in HO and N, and I'm planning to shorten one to make a Southern 5000-class.

One possible source for the 10-foot smooth plug door is the old Details West insulated boxcar.  Unfortunately this was the last carbody variation they did and the hardest to find.  The older Athearn and MDC plug door boxes have narrower doors.  Their might be a newer Athearn/Genesis or Walthers model with this door.  I'll have to keep an eye out.

I also added that the Southern's 5500-5572 are the same basic car but with 12-foot exterior-post plug doors.

Scott Chatfield

Join ModelingTheSouthern@SouthernRailway.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.