Re: [bbfcl] An early low-bulkhead flat

D. Scott Chatfield

Tom Mack asked:

> any suggested starting point as a good basis for one of these cars?

I mentioned the fishbelly sidesills because I wonder if the old Athearn 40-foot flat might work if you cut off the stake pockets?  I don't have one to check.  Or just cut new sides from styrene.  Since the deck is just plate steel it's probably easier to scratch the body than modify an Athearn.  Besides, doesn't the Athearn ride too high?

Use the old Cal-Scale Hydra-Cushion detail set or shorten a Details West underframe.

I don't >need< one but I might build one for the heck of it.  I've already begun scratchbuilding a Trailer Train 68-foot bulkhead flat and plan to do a couple other Southerns, so what's another one?.....

Scott Chatfield

Join ModelingTheSouthern@SouthernRailway.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.