Topics

1.5 cents from "the old school" from ---where's the beef thread

A&Y Dave in MD

Actually my brother works for a company selling fax services (server based but distinct because the source and receiving machine must connect in real-time). They are required in legal and health arenas.

And I started learning railroad modeling on Usenet before email was favored.  I try Pinterest, Tumblr, Facebook...whatever helps me learn.

I model the Southern because of my grandfather. I have kits of any Southern items prior to 1955 I can find and build my own when they are not available. I have enough projects to last my life unless gene therapy extends it (ok by me).  I can learn from NYC or N&W or SP modelers as easily as those interested in the Southern, so I go where my questions are answered well. The hobby is a part of my life’s leisure activities so I am not 100% available to talk or type or ask. So I “go dark” when busy.

The beef is sliced thin and served rare.

Dave Bott

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Feb 2, 2019, at 7:35 PM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

Now when was the last time you used a fax machine?

D. Scott Chatfield

I doubt that any of us is truly "old school", although a former co-worker recently described me as such to his wife because I showed up a few minutes early for a meeting....

All of us, regardless of our modeling or historical interest in God's Own Railroad, uses modern technology.

I am old school enough to remember this washing machine-sized thingie on our destroyer that BuPers used to send personnel paperwork to us.  They called it a "facsimile machine".  Took a while to print a page.  Then I went to the Southern and the facsimile machine (still not called a "fax machine" yet) was the size of a dorm fridge.  Still took a while to print a page and we tried to only use it when we needed a copy of a foreign road waybill.  By 1986 we couldn't live without our fax machine, and it wasn't much bigger than a couple Atlanta phone books.  Now when was the last time you used a fax machine?

The same is true in our avocation.  Things that were cutting edge 30 years ago are not only commonplace now but what you can buy off the shelf is often better than the best modelers could build then.  And now you can populate a layout with _correct_ Southern Railway equipment, at least for some eras, off the shelf.  So now the modelers' focus can pivot from just building Southern equipment to building a layout that represents a part of the Southern and then using that equipment and layout in a way the real Southern would have.  That is not info you can buy at the hobby shop, especially at an internet-only shop.

We must understand that the high-skill builders were always the small minority in this hobby.  Less than 5%.  RTR has always been the norm, just less so in HO.  After all, what is Lionel and almost all N-scale but RTR.  While Athearn sold lots of blue-box engines in the last century, those of us old enough to remember the '70s and '80s (if the drugs, hideous clothes, and disco didn't turn your memory to mush) should recall how the HO hobby went gaga for Atlas' RTR diesels.

The point of my rambling on is that yes, you can be a Southern modeler without being a stick-builder of everything.  Indeed, I ask you, what is a better representation of the railroad itself, a few hard fought battles with resin kits, satisfying as they are, or a layout stocked with reasonably accurate Southern RTR stuff being operated the way the Southern did?

The archives are useful for both approaches and everything in between.  It's getting word out to a world filling up with spoon-fed snowflakes that a) the info exists, and b) it doesn't sort itself.

Scott Chatfield

SouRwyFan

Edited

Gordon,

I'm not sure, but I feel based on your response that my post made you incensed.
I'm sorry if you took it personally-it wasn't meant that way.
You originally ask where all the interest of years ago on here has gone and if there is some secret fallen flag group.
One word, Facebook, it seems to have everything.
Do I like it, NO, but I use it because it has much traffic and its what most folks seem to find as the evil necessity.

By what I stated I wasn't talking down the "old school" way, we (Yes I can admit I'm getting old) are the connection to that history for those that never saw SR outside a museum or in pictures.
We have seen operations and events that weren't documented readily or sometimes at all and can model from actual experience.
And there are fewer and fewer that have lived through this and every year we lose more, just one example Jerry Laboda last year.

The SR interest is still there but sharing has changed, everybody seems to be to busy.
The house phone & computers its mostly a thing of the past, now most communication is done by smart phones so that evil social media, Facebook, seems to prevail as the easiest media to communicate.
However It has lots of trolls, AND NOT YOU, that are smart asses just because they know you can't climb through facebook and kick their asses. (I personally watched Robert Harpe share on a FB group last year and get harassed, one of the masters of SR modeling!)
Now most organizational conventions or meets are regional at most, they are still active just not on websites or in print much as that takes time and someone has to update them.
Local hobby shops/shows have given way mostly to internet stores.

What I call the "new school" SR modelers have never experienced SR when it was just a for profit company hauling freight/commerce (The pretty and the ugly) and not as a special operating or static display, so they are bound to lose some specifics and details as its not always feasible for restorations to be done back to 100 percent original.

In addition there always has been and always will be some that just want to run trains and don't care if its prototypical or not.

Life is short and nothing is forever so enjoy scratch building or running trains, pleasing yourself the only one (Besides the wife) that really matters.

RS

George Eichelberger

A couple of questions for “where’s the beef”……

Is someone “internet savvy” because they know DNS, DHCP, NTP, TCP/IP, UDP and a raft of other technologies or do you just have to use Google, Snapchat and email to qualify?

You gave some examples of “old school”, what do you consider “new school”? You basically said “prototype modeling” is old school, is just having “SOUTHERN” on a RTR model is good enough? Is attending a RPM meet, NMRA, NRHS or SRHA convention in that category? How about visiting one of, at least four, railroad museums with actual Southern Railway equipment in operation or on display? Would “new school” have ever built any of the accurate resin SR models or purchased a RTR “Big John” or waffle side box car?

Without any of that, why claim to be a Southern modeler?

I guess the question is….does “new school” do anything that does not use a keyboard or monitor?

Ike

On Feb 2, 2019, at 4:05 PM, milepost 131 <mp131.ghandrews@...> wrote:

I tried to just reply to the person who sent two cents- really.

So now I'm relegated to "old school"- guess new school is just "sort of : looks like what I think Southern should have been" ??

As one who still builds from scratch and cares about prototype-- (try to find an accurate Shake and take model of Bryson City  NC depot <g>  If your are correct about "us" not being savvy (big giggle) who are the  800 plus from the Yahoogroups? We were doing THAT more than a decade ago.

I "personally' don't think much of  "look what I just bought" posts where  folks can give a terse "Attaboy" message. Even more grating is when the purchase isn't even "Southern" just something with an incorrect Southern paint job. (call me rivet counter) Call me a troll if you must but if it isn't Southern and you don't know it... why post it in a group related to Southern  unless you are just in need of "fellowship."  I get my fellowship at "church" <G>

Guilty as charged- I've been modeling  a lot of years. I did it while making a living and raising a family. Sad to say my sons were interested in C&O (not CSX) N&W, and ATSF so I was even spending time with those road interests as well as their sports AND as a BSA leader. I had just as much time as my boys do now with their work and families.. I found the time.

As for aging... I resemble that remark.
As you can see by this post ... I can even find time to do things on the net... I find the time if it is important for me. Tomorrow I might not reply until after the game... if then.

But if I am wrong and you are right.... then perhaps this group and maybe even SRHA have seen their day and we should just go out to an internet store and buy whatever is on sale ---no need to be interested in Southern Railway- it's old school

The Rolling Stones once sang "Its only Rock and Roll (But I like it)" So I guess this is close enough: It's only SOUTHERN Railway  (But I LIKED it)

Now.... where is that N&W J .... I need to slap Southern green and gold on it. Maybe a red roof... get me some of them Attaboys and likes. Get myself modern and new.

Yessireee. Born Again in the RTR anything goes new world. Wooooweee!

Gordon Andrews
still modeling The Murphy Branch - June, 1942