Topics

An early low-bulkhead flat

D. Scott Chatfield

The Southern was definitely ahead of its time.  We generally think of low bulkheads are being a very modern thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DUPLICATE-SLIDE-Southern-SOU-115757-Flat-Car-w-High-Wide-Dallas-TX-1965/372459362469

Note the very low bulkhead, Hydra-Cushion stencil, but still has ribbed-back wheels.  One of 25 cars #d 115750-150774 rebuilt by Evans in 1964 from series 120998-122997, which were pulpwood "racks" rebuilt in 1956 from _gondolas_ in the series 175000-176344.

Stenciled as return to Rome, GA, so presumably this transformer came from the GE plant there.

49'9" over the pulling faces because of the cushioned underframe.  Otherwise the body is a typical 40-foot fishbelly sidesill flatcar of the prewar years, even though they started life as low-side gons with straight sills.

Scott Chatfield

George Eichelberger

We can research the data about the bulkhead flat but are people aware the slide being sold is from an Al Chione set? All his sets are marked as copyright? Selling someone else's work is simply not the thing to do!

Seeing things like this make us hesitate providing photos to anyone realizing they can post or sell it with no credit line.

I sat in on a presentation at Cocoa Beach a couple of years ago. The presenter, at the beginning of his talk, said "he did not have time to research who the photogs were for the photos he was using". I though that was "tacky" but when he flashed a slide on the screen and did not know anything about where or when it was taken, I filled in the details and explained that was MY photo that no one had asked for permission to use. He was indignant that anyone would question his right to use it. All I said was it would have been "nice" if he had done some research so he could at least explain what he was showing...or who took the photo!