locked Re: E8 Questions

Jason Greene

1. The first order (2923-2929) did not have rooftop air tanks. The second group (6906-6915) built with the air tanks.
2. Second group delivered in 1953, first group rebuilt when painted black in mid-50s
3. Both water for the steam generators.
4. E8s became the primary passenger power and E6-7s were traded in. No need to convert them as the ones rostered later we’re not primary power for long distance trains. The were used to add HP. E8s with two steam generators per unit could keep up with needed steam.

Jason Greene

On Apr 12, 2020, at 6:08 PM, Curtis Brookshire via groups.io <curtis.brookshire@...> wrote:

I have a few questions regarding SR E8s. NCTM is closed right now and I do not have the Withers Diesel book to reference, so I must inquire from the diesel historians here.
1. Were the E8s delivered without the rooftop air tanks and extra water tanks flanking the fuel tank? I'm under the impression they were.
2. If so, when were they converted? I saw plans for ceiling mounted water tanks used in F3s dated 1952 so I guess the E8s might have been around then.
3. There were two oval tanks flanking the fuel tank, one fore and the other aft. Were they both for water or was one for steam boiler fuel?
4. Why did they configure the E8s and some F units with rooftop air tanks and extra water tanks and not the E7s or E6s (or did some also get this conversion)? Did the E8 steam boilers use more fuel/water?
Stay well everyone,
Curtis Brookshire
Pine Level, NC