locked Re: Southern P-S 40' box car 262054

Ike,

That strange car you’re talking about looks like two cars.  One on the near track is a bulkhead flat and the one beyond is a gondola.  I might be wrong but that’s what it looks like to me.

Ed Locklin at mp367.

From: George Eichelberger
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 6:35 PM
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Southern P-S 40' box car 262054

In looking for a photo of a HO model produced by Kadee (the model has black paint on the ends, we have talked about them here) for a question on the steam era freight car group, I sent the attached photo of Southern 262064 as “evidence” it is likely only the one car produced by Kadee, Southern 262063, had black ends.

Looking more closely at the Oscar Kimsey photo taken of 262064 at Augusta, GA 5-21-73, I see a real “mystery” gondola with high ends (usually for loading pipe). I may be reading the road number 60608 wrong, or there is a missing digit, but I cannot find any similar cars in the Southern freight car diagram books or the RER.

Does anyone have any ideas what it is? The Southern did not use the “SOU” reporting mark in 1973 and it is in a completely wrong place on the car.