locked Re: Southern P-S 40' box car 262054

Jason Greene

A wood deck. That would make for a different model. Might have to save these for a future project. The layout does have two pulpwood yards.

Jason Greene

On Apr 30, 2020, at 8:14 PM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Jason:

Here are three wood rack items from the SRHA archives.

The first “pulpwood loading instructions” explains why the cars’ floor needed to be sloped inward.

The second is a stencil drawing showing measurement marks along the car side sill to determine how much was in the load, and,

the third is a very nice drawing of the wood racks converted from 36’ box car. Note the end view shows how the sloped floor was constructed on the box car floor.

Ike
PS Something to discuss another time…the wood grain drawn on the ends of the boards describe exactly what kind of wood was to be used.

<PulpwoodLoadingInstr9-1-55.jpeg>

<SF-30044 pulpwood marking.jpeg>

<SF-2309A.jpeg>

On Apr 30, 2020, at 5:35 PM, Jason Greene <jason.p.greene@...> wrote:

Did these cars have flat decks or were they sloped?

Jason Greene

On Apr 30, 2020, at 3:06 PM, Robert Graham <rgraham2@...> wrote:

The car coupled directly behind the faded SOU PS-1 40ft XM is one of the SOU Spencer Shops rebuilt pulpwood racks, empty. Behind it on an adjacent track is a gondola. I've attached a photo I made Jan 2 1970 in Burlington NC of one of those LP's rebuilt from 40ft AAR boxcars by Spencer. I am somewhat surprised none of the members of this august group recognized that iconic Southern Ry pulpwood rack!

Bob Graham