From: "O Fenton Wells"
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Sent: Tuesday May 5 2020 9:05:59AM
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Proto2000 Southern Boxcars

Are these the P2K kits?  The first SR 50 ft DD boxcars were 10'-0" IH and you have to kit bash these.  Theo others can be made with the P2K kit see attached chart.
Also attached is a photo of 2 50 boxcars (Bob's Photos) showing different side sill arrangements.  The first one 39242 was taken in the early '50's as can be seen by the reweigh date.  This car has pretty much the original side sills.  as the cars aged they added bracing as can be seen by the second photo (1955 or later) of 39592 with the added side sill.  Depending on the era you model you need to be aware of the side sill length and depth.
Hope this helps
Fenton

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 7:50 PM Ken Vandevoort via groups.io <apo09324=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have two of the 50' Automobile Box Car kits SOU 42010 and 42022.  I don't know if they are accurate, but this is what the instructions say: "For this prototype, four roads had straight side sills (CB&Q, NKP, SRR, SP) and two roads had notched side sills (ATSF & NYC).  The body is correct for the straight side sill version; if you are modeling CB&Q, NKP, SRR or SP no modification to the body is needed."

Ken Vandevoort

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd