moderated Re: Cooling Pipes on Southern E-6s

David Friedlander

Ike,
Thanks for posting this.  This was a detail I was hoping to figure out how to do in O scale at some point.

Two questions.
1. Are there any existing good photos of what these look like?
2. The drawing says 1958 on it.  Was this the first year these coils were put on E6 and/or E7 units?

Thanks,
David Friedlander

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 4:15 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
I have always liked how the Southern's modified E-6s looked.. As soon as I saw the Proto 2000 E-6s I have wanted to modify one in the same style.

The pier panels on the body castings Athern uses in their Fs are almost precisely the same (correct) dimension as the panels on the E-6s. After quite a bit of very careful cutting and filing, I am reasonably happy (see photo) with the result. In addition to the modified sides, the roof mounted aftercooler pipes are one of the "signature" parts of the units.

BUT, there is a problem. All other piping on Es and Fs is just piping, the E-6s have 4x4" cooling fins. I can cut dozens of fins from plastic or brass, then drill and mount them on pipes but I am not certain that can be done with the accuracy and appearance anything mounted on a diesel's roof needs. Any ideas?