locked Re: Southern Passenger Train Discontinuances - 1966

C J Wyatt

I don't have the exact date, but sometime around the time of this memo, Southern helped to finish off No. 35 from Chattanooga to Memphis, by scheduling No. 17 to arrive Chattanooga ten minutes after no. 35 departed.

Jack Wyatt

On Wednesday, June 24, 2020, 04:58:00 PM EDT, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

During the mid 1960s, the Southern made a concerted effort to eliminate as many passenger trains as possible.

While many people would assume it was mostly the work of D.W. Brosnan, his “man behind the scene” was (maybe surprisingly to some) VP Graham Claytor. Here is a two-page “personal” memo to “DWB” from “WGC”.

As with many subjects, the SRHA archives include internal correspondence, public comments and PUC correspomdemce and ruling on many passenger trains.

We look forward to organizing a three-day archives work session in August. If everyone can stay safe and well and check the SRHA web site, we look forward to getting back to work.