locked Re: Southern Passenger Train Consist Similarities

Michael Young

From my time with the Charleston Chapter in the mid-1970s, I remember finding the mechanical record card in the electrical cabinet of the heavyweight Pullman "Bizet" and the last few entries indicated that it saw its last regular service on the Royal Palm in the mid to late 1960s. I believe it was an all double bedroom floor plan, but had been used for coach seating. "Coach" had been stenciled under "Bizet" on the end doors.
Mike Young

-----Original Message-----
From: David Friedlander <davidjfriedlander@...>
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Jun 28, 2020 1:30 pm
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Southern Passenger Train Consist Similarities

Jason,

Interesting thought.  What would a typical train look like for the royal palm, peach queen, or piedmont, in roughly the same time frame or slightly earlier? I'm far less familiar with those trains.

David

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 1:22 AM Jason Greene <jason.p.greene@...> wrote:
Just my thoughts:

Using your list here-

late 1960's Crescent /early 1970's Southern Crescent (8-cars):
-1700 Corinth (60FT Bag-Mail, with plating over flutes)
-1751 Greeneville (Bag-Mail, with plating over lower flutes)
-2010 Rapidan River (10-6 sleeper)
-2014 Shenandoa River (10-6 sleeper)
-3304 Alexandria (48-seat dining car; de-skirted) (Did this run on the Crescent or should it be a Budd diner?)
-951 (Coach-Lounge)
-822 (52s Coach)
-824 (52s Coach)

Add-on:
-2017 Tiger River (10-6 sleeper)
-2022 York River (10-6 sleeper)
-817 (52s Coach)
-830 (52s Coach)
-Maybe more 10-6 and 52s coaches if demand is there or other railroads fit onto the the same car plan

Add on the 11 bedroom sleepers that were common. Do some of your 10-6 sleepers in the other roads like L&N or FEC. Maybe an add-on AWP diner or sleeper. I believe the PRR has some 10-6 sleepers of the same floor plan without fluting.

You take all these and you now have a good Royal Palm and maybe a Peach Queen or Piedmont.

Jason Greene