locked Re: Southern Passenger Train Consist Similarities

Bill Schafer

David:

The Royal Palm, the Peach Queen, and the Piedmont Limited of the 1960s all carried a lot of head-end traffic, typically in heavyweight cars. The Palm usually had lightweight coaches, but the coaches of the other two trains were usually heavyweights. To recreate the consists of these trains would depend on what other heavyweight cars are already available. A PRR X-29 boxcar, heavyweight Southern RPO, and heavyweight Southern baggage car would look right at home on these trains, but you’d also have to add a modernized (or not so modernized) heavyweight coach to maintain a correct consist. Lightweight Pullmans of the kind used on the Southern Crescent would be okay.

If your goal is to create the most authentic consists with the least number of different cars, it would seem to me that your original idea of offering the Southern Crescent (to the late-1960s/1970s folks) or the Southerner or Tennessean (to the folks interested in a prewar consist) is the course that will keep you the most sane. Even the Tennessean consist had heavyweight Pullmans in it from the outset. It never was a pure streamlined train, despite the publicity.

—Bill

On Jun 28, 2020, at 13:30, David Friedlander <davidjfriedlander@...> wrote:

Jason,

Interesting thought.  What would a typical train look like for the royal palm, peach queen, or piedmont, in roughly the same time frame or slightly earlier? I'm far less familiar with those trains.

David

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 1:22 AM Jason Greene <jason.p.greene@...> wrote:
Just my thoughts:

Using your list here-

late 1960's Crescent /early 1970's Southern Crescent (8-cars):
-1700 Corinth (60FT Bag-Mail, with plating over flutes)
-1751 Greeneville (Bag-Mail, with plating over lower flutes)
-2010 Rapidan River (10-6 sleeper)
-2014 Shenandoa River (10-6 sleeper)
-3304 Alexandria (48-seat dining car; de-skirted) (Did this run on the Crescent or should it be a Budd diner?)
-951 (Coach-Lounge)
-822 (52s Coach)
-824 (52s Coach)

Add-on:
-2017 Tiger River (10-6 sleeper)
-2022 York River (10-6 sleeper)
-817 (52s Coach)
-830 (52s Coach)
-Maybe more 10-6 and 52s coaches if demand is there or other railroads fit onto the the same car plan

Add on the 11 bedroom sleepers that were common. Do some of your 10-6 sleepers in the other roads like L&N or FEC. Maybe an add-on AWP diner or sleeper. I believe the PRR has some 10-6 sleepers of the same floor plan without fluting.

You take all these and you now have a good Royal Palm and maybe a Peach Queen or Piedmont.

Jason Greene