locked Re: Silversides lettering color

George Eichelberger

Scott:

For years, I have looked at stencil drawings, specifications and memos to find a “clue” to explain the different stencil colors on the Silversides, covered hoppers and the grey 70-ton triple hoppers with black lettering. I have always assumed there must (!) be a reason for the black, green, red, (and orange that was probably faded red?). So far, absolutely no luck whatsoever!

We can speculate about many reasons but does anyone have any “solid” information?

Ike

On Jul 1, 2020, at 7:02 PM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

What were the different colors used to letter the Silversides?  (The aluminum coal gons.)  I gather the colors had meanings, either for which power company they hauled coal for or which subsidiary they were assigned to.  Thanks.

Scott Chatfield