locked Re: Silversides lettering color

Robert Graham

He probably is referring to one of these cars; SOU (C of  G) HT 74338 I shot at Linwood NC April 19 1986.

Bob Graham

From: "James"
To: "main@southernrailway.groups.io"
Sent: Wednesday July 1 2020 10:23:24PM
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Silversides lettering color

George,

You sparked my interest with the grey 70ton hoppers with black lettering.  Might you provide some pictures fo these?

On Jul 1, 2020, at 20:13, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Scott:

For years, I have looked at stencil drawings, specifications and memos to find a “clue” to explain the different stencil colors on the Silversides, covered hoppers and the grey 70-ton triple hoppers with black lettering. I have always assumed there must (!) be a reason for the black, green, red, (and orange that was probably faded red?). So far, absolutely no luck whatsoever!

We can speculate about many reasons but does anyone have any “solid” information?

Ike

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC