locked Re: Silversides lettering color

Dick Fisher <Gladhand1@...>

I agree. I always thought the color was whatever was standard at the time they were painted..

Dick

On 7/2/2020 8:54 AM, Bill Schafer wrote:
I have no idea why the gray 70 ton hoppers were painted that way, but I remember seeing them occasionally in Lamberts Point mixed in with black N&W hoppers in the 1980s.

As for the Silversides, I’m like Jack Wyatt - I too am curious about the real answer. My impression over the years, which may be just wild speculation, is that Mr. Brosnan did everything he could to get rid of the color green on the Southern . Diesels traded green for black in 1958. The first airplane - N153SR, nicknamed the Southwind, was painted red and white with gold stripes when delivered around 1963. The Agribusiness bus was painted red and silver. And the Silversides, Big Johns, etc., were lettered with red-orange characters. All during Brosnan’s watch as either executive VP-operations or president. Once Mr. Claytor became president, the red on the plane got replaced by green; ditto (I think, IIRC) for the Agribusiness bus before it was retired. And it was during Claytor’s administration that I noticed the Silversides and Big Johns getting green characters instead of red-orange, so I just chalked it up to a trend to return to green, culminating with the E8s in 1972.

If there is a more technical explanation, I’d be delighted to hear of it.

—Bill

On Jul 1, 2020, at 22:54, Robert Graham <rgraham2@...> wrote:

He probably is referring to one of these cars; SOU (C of  G) HT 74338 I shot at Linwood NC April 19 1986.

Bob Graham

From: "James"
To: "main@southernrailway.groups.io"
Sent: Wednesday July 1 2020 10:23:24PM
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Silversides lettering color

George,

You sparked my interest with the grey 70ton hoppers with black lettering.  Might you provide some pictures fo these?

On Jul 1, 2020, at 20:13, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Scott:

For years, I have looked at stencil drawings, specifications and memos to find a “clue” to explain the different stencil colors on the Silversides, covered hoppers and the grey 70-ton triple hoppers with black lettering. I have always assumed there must (!) be a reason for the black, green, red, (and orange that was probably faded red?). So far, absolutely no luck whatsoever!

We can speculate about many reasons but does anyone have any “solid” information?

Ike

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

<SOU ht 74338  BobG  035.jpg>