locked Re: Southern’s Single Window Coaches

Bill Schafer

As far as I can tell, SOU had no coaches in the 4500-series. The few passenger cars numbered 4500s were some heavyweight Pullmans acquired in the Pullman split of 1948. Also, a couple baggage-RPOs and 12 of those elegant baggage cars converted from surplus Pullmans at Hayne Shop in the 1950s. They were “owned” by (and sublettered for) the NO&NE.

I don’t know how prototypical this model is supposed to be, but its number is wrong for a coach.

—Bill

On Jul 22, 2020, at 09:35, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Evan:

While there were a few Southern paired window 13xx coaches built by PSCCo, far and away most from the “heavyweight” era were single window designs. Here’s an example from an old “Cyc”.

Ike

<Sou 1464 coach from Cyc copy.tiff>

On Jul 17, 2020, at 9:17 AM, Evan Miller via groups.io <nsrailfan82@...> wrote:

Hello everyone, Micro-Trains just released an N Scale Southern single window coach with road number 4500. I was wondering how common single window coaches were on the Southern, and does anyone have any information on the class the 4500 was in?

-Evan Miller