locked Re: Southern segregation question in 1946

William L Vanderburg

Barber Junction station had two waiting rooms, an agents office in the corner below the tower, and a baggage/freight room.  The white waiting room was separated from the agent by an open slat wall with a window while the colored waiting room was separated by a solid wall with a window.  Both waiting rooms faced a rail line be cause the station sat at a diamond. 

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 11:08 PM rwbrv4 via groups.io <dccinstallssales=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

That's the way Lexington SC was.  I spent my early years in that station.

Rick Bell

-----Original Message-----

From: David Payne via groups.io <davidcofga=aol.com@groups.io>

To: tarumph@...; main@SouthernRailway.groups.io

Sent: Fri, Sep 4, 2020 5:37 pm

Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Southern segregation question in 1946

Not always the case.  Many times a station had both "White" and "Colored" waiting rooms adjacent to each other on one end of the building with the "Colored" to the rear and the "White" to trackside.  The agent's office would have windows to both waiting rooms to conduct business.

David Payne

Ga

In a message dated 9/4/2020 2:35:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, tarumph@... writes:

The typical small stations on all of the railroads of in the south were laid out in virtually the same way. Starting at one end of the station, there is the white waiting room. Next is the agent's/operator's office, with ticket windows on both sides. Next is the colored waiting room, and then the baggage/freight room. Most times there were no restrooms in the station, just an out house (which may have been restricted to white patrons only, I'm not sure).

After these legalized outrages were removed, the former colored waiting rooms were used for storage, often by the signal department.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Join main@SouthernRailway.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.