locked Re: Pulpwood and Line In Boxcars

George Eichelberger

Dave:

Do the switch lists describe if the lime is bagged? I don’t think we’d see off-line cars on the Southern in bulk lime service? Does anyone know….would box cars without doors be accepted in interchange in 1934?

The cars with no doors were, I expect, only used for on-line shipments in bulk. That is all I ever saw in those cars in the 70s.

Ike

On Sep 9, 2020, at 10:22 AM, A&Y Dave in MD <dbott@...> wrote:

Ike,

Here is the list of cars transporting Lime in 1934 on the W-S division (notes on car type are based upon car number from Al Brown's first try and are preliminary and not guaranteed, tons are listed by Conductor Snow and are just copied verbatim):

<int_1.png>

There were two SU 36' Southern cars (out of 7000+ in database) listed by Conductor Snow with "wood" as contents but that does NOT mean pulp wood. In the 20's and early 30's it is my understanding that there were no pulpwood racks on the Southern.  So how did pulpwood get transported prior to racks?   Low side gons?  The W-S database from Conductor Snow cannot tell us.

As for hides, there were a few more as North Wilkesboro had a tannery and I think a shoe factory (at least they got leather dye in tank cars from a shoe dye firm as well as hides):

<int_2.png>

Dave

Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 8:44:31 AM, you wrote:

I am certain Central of Georgia box cars, without doors, were used in lime service. I have taken, but not found, photos of either CG or Southern cars carrying lime but I will keep looking. The Hayne Shop records show some 50' cars in lime service but they may have been roof hatch cars.

One reason why I sure 40' cars were used is because seeing box cars with no doors was unusual. There is no official drawing but the Central applied a small (3" letters?) stencil to the right of the door that said something like "lime service, no doors, do not bad order".

Bulk fertilizer or untreated hides ("tankage") were supposed to be shipped only in the lowest class box cars as they contaminated the car. Box cars at that point were one step from the scrap line. As no "modifications" were done, there are no shop records or car assignments that tell us which cars were in that kind of service. Given the condition of the cars, I suspect they were not in that service very long.

I am not aware of box cars being used for pulpwood although "never say never". While shortages of wood racks were not uncommon, unloading facilities at mills would have had a difficult time dealing with box cars. Even with inexpensive labor, the time to load and unload box cars by hand would have made it uneconomical.

David Bott

Sent from David Bott's desktop PC