locked Re: Black SOU 4-8-2s in the 1940s

Don Yelverton

Bill,
Shelby Lowe once told me that these along with several Pacifics and switchers painted in this scheme with "Southern" on the tender sides rather than the large numerals were used in passenger service. Of course the others didn't have the dog house. This was basically the early passenger scheme. They looked great. I assume with the dog house they could have been used in both passenger and freight service.

I actually bought one of the models of an HO scale PSC Pacific with the 10K tender for this purpose but sold it before I got chance to have it painted.

Best regards,

Don Yelverton

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 04:24:47 PM EDT, Bill Schafer <bill4501@...> wrote:

In the SRHA Archives, we have photographs of at least two Ts-class Mountains, 1453 and 1454, in black paint with dog houses on the tender decks. These are the only two 4-8-2s I know of that got the black treatment in the 1940s. In each case, "Southern" was spelled out on the tender sides instead of large numerals typical of freight engines.

Questions:

* Does anyone know of any other SOU Mountains that were painted black just before dieselization?
* Has anyone seen photos of any black Mountains with large numerals on the tenders?
* Does anyone have a photo to share of black 4-8-2s from the 1940s other than 1453 and 1454?
* What service were the black 4-8-2s used in? We have seen a photo of 1454 (black) on a head-end heavy passenger train but none in freight service.

Of course, I haven't been to the Archives recently. It's possible more photos of black 4-8-2s have been unearthed and I just don't know about them.

Thanks.

--Bill Schafer