locked Re: Black SOU 4-8-2s in the 1940s

C J Wyatt

Thanks Barry, that was my recall too, but I could not find it. Southern Rails was not the easiest publication to find something in.

Maybe I should try again (in the morning after my <pot of> coffee).

Jack Wyatt

On Thursday, September 17, 2020, 09:28:57 PM EDT, Barry Kimble <southernry@comcast.net> wrote:

As I recall, a few issues after Southern Rails #28 was an update with a couple more “Black Beauty” pictures.  I don’t have my Southern Rails available to check which issue had them, but I will as soon as I can...

Barry Kimble

On Sep 16, 2020, at 9:50 PM, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@bellsouth.net> wrote:

OK, found it. Southern Rails, issue No. 28, Spring,1990, page 4. Article was actually by Shelby F. Lowe and is titled "Black Beauties.

Engines were nos. 1453, 1454, and  1466, all pictured. Intended use was for nos. 52 and 52 between Macon and Jesup.

Jack Wyatt

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 09:18:56 PM EDT, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Bill,

Oscar Kimsey wrote about them in one of the issues of SRHS's Southern Rails. I think it was four or five Ts class engines in total. I don't remember whether a Ts-1 got the black treatment. If I recall, Atlanta-Brunswick was one of the routes which they were used on.

Jack Wyatt

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 06:33:12 PM EDT, Bill Schafer <bill4501@mindspring.com> wrote:

In the SRHA Archives, we have photographs of at least two Ts-class Mountains, 1453 and 1454, in black paint with dog houses on the tender decks. These are the only two 4-8-2s I know of that got the black treatment in the 1940s. In each case, "Southern" was spelled out on the tender sides instead of large numerals typical of freight engines.

Questions:

* Does anyone know of any other SOU Mountains that were painted black just before dieselization?
* Has anyone seen photos of any black Mountains with large numerals on the tenders?
* Does anyone have a photo to share of black 4-8-2s from the 1940s other than 1453 and 1454?
* What service were the black 4-8-2s used in? We have seen a photo of 1454 (black) on a head-end heavy passenger train but none in freight service.

Of course, I haven't been to the Archives recently. It's possible more photos of black 4-8-2s have been unearthed and I just don't know about them.

Thanks.

--Bill Schafer