locked Re: Numbering of 19th Century Rolling Stock

C J Wyatt

Joel,

Look at this site for a source of early Southern Rwy. passenger car diagrams:

http://southern.railfan.net/

Select "Southern Documents", next "Passenger and Business Car Diagrams", and finally "Passenger Car Diagrams 1913".

Are you intending to model a circa 1900 Southern Railway passenger train? If so, are you scratch-building the cars or just looking for ones which are "close"?

I'll be happy to discuss further.

Jack Wyatt

On Friday, September 18, 2020, 04:25:31 PM EDT, Joel Walker <loneloper@gmail.com> wrote:

Jack,
Your information was exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks.
Joel

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 2:12 PM C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@bellsouth.net> wrote:
Joel,

The original renumbering from the predecessor roads had combination passenger and baggage cars in the 500-560 series.

Second class passenger coaches (some of which did not last much longer) were 700-772.

First class passenger cars were 900-1075.

Southern Railway had a couple of first class coaches destroyed in an October 1894 wreck of the Vestibule Ltd. Pullman Palace Car got the contract for  nos. 1200-1201 to replace those cars. Southern liked the cars so it adopted them as its standard. Until 1901, this series was added to reaching 1296 or maybe a bit higher. These were 57' wood cars, but they were ordered with wide vestibules, narrow vestibules, and open platforms according to the current requirements. These are probably the coaches you need to focus on, along with some of the first and second class ones from the predecessors.

I am not sure about whether any new combines were built between 1894 and 1901. My notes are in disarray now.

Hope this helps.

Jack Wyatt

On Thursday, September 17, 2020, 11:06:43 AM EDT, Joel Walker <loneloper@gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have a handle on how Southern numbered their combination cars and day coaches at the turn of the century? Pullman Sleepers, I know, had names.
Also, is anyone aware of any diagrams the archives might have on the interior of a typical day coach around 1900?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Joel Walker