locked Re: Numbering of 19th Century Rolling Stock

C J Wyatt

Joel,

Thank you for sharing that information. Interesting project!

The annual report for fiscal year 1900 ending June 30, 1900 shows 9 passenger cars being retired that year which should include the two wrecked cars. I wonder if any SRHA files have the car numbers?

Jack

On Friday, September 18, 2020, 09:57:17 PM EDT, Joel Walker <loneloper@gmail.com> wrote:

Since Jack asked, I'm not modeling a 1900 Southern train but am working on a book (historical fiction) built around the Camp Creek wreck north of McDonough, Georgia in June of 1900. I have found multiple newspaper accounts (local and national) and have read all thirty of the federal court cases involving the wreck. I have also done genealogical research on most of the victims and the survivors. I know exactly who was on the Pullman Sleeper (the Giraldo) and have a good handle on what the interior was like since all the survivors were on the Sleeper.  But I don't have a lot of information on the first-class day coach or the combination car. 'Little things,' like getting the numbers of the cars correct (at least in the ball park) and what the interiors were like will help me flesh out the story so what all of you have shared with me will be useful.
Thanks, again.
Joel

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 5:12 PM C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@bellsouth.net> wrote:
Joel,

Look at this site for a source of early Southern Rwy. passenger car diagrams:

http://southern.railfan.net/

Select "Southern Documents", next "Passenger and Business Car Diagrams", and finally "Passenger Car Diagrams 1913".

Are you intending to model a circa 1900 Southern Railway passenger train? If so, are you scratch-building the cars or just looking for ones which are "close"?

I'll be happy to discuss further.

Jack Wyatt

On Friday, September 18, 2020, 04:25:31 PM EDT, Joel Walker <loneloper@gmail.com> wrote:

Jack,
Your information was exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks.
Joel

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 2:12 PM C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@bellsouth.net> wrote:
Joel,

The original renumbering from the predecessor roads had combination passenger and baggage cars in the 500-560 series.

Second class passenger coaches (some of which did not last much longer) were 700-772.

First class passenger cars were 900-1075.

Southern Railway had a couple of first class coaches destroyed in an October 1894 wreck of the Vestibule Ltd. Pullman Palace Car got the contract for  nos. 1200-1201 to replace those cars. Southern liked the cars so it adopted them as its standard. Until 1901, this series was added to reaching 1296 or maybe a bit higher. These were 57' wood cars, but they were ordered with wide vestibules, narrow vestibules, and open platforms according to the current requirements. These are probably the coaches you need to focus on, along with some of the first and second class ones from the predecessors.

I am not sure about whether any new combines were built between 1894 and 1901. My notes are in disarray now.

Hope this helps.

Jack Wyatt

On Thursday, September 17, 2020, 11:06:43 AM EDT, Joel Walker <loneloper@gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have a handle on how Southern numbered their combination cars and day coaches at the turn of the century? Pullman Sleepers, I know, had names.
Also, is anyone aware of any diagrams the archives might have on the interior of a typical day coach around 1900?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Joel Walker