locked Southern's Land and Immigration Department Question

Joel Walker

Does the Archives have any documents dealing with the Land and Immigration Department for the 1890s and early 1900s? I have searched the SRHA finding aids but have not found any references.  This is what I know so far.

When Samuel Spencer was president of the B & O, he started the Land and Immigration department at the B & O and hired Milton V. Richards to manage it  In November of 1894, Spencer did the same at Southern and Richards resigned at the B & O and would operate Southern's program for twenty-some years. The program was similar to those operated by the western railroads. It encouraged immigrants to 'colonize' in the south but Southern's program also promoted new industries in the region.

Richard's obituary in the Washington (D.C.) Evening Star (1918) states that he was the "Dean of Railway Development" and "the man responsible for the development of the 'industrial South.'" It goes on to say that Richards "induced New England manufacturers to send capital to the South" which "resulted in the development of several textile industries."

Very high praise. Richards was on 59 when he died..

Any information would be appreciated.

Joel Walker