locked Re: Sleeping Var Passengers out of Washington week of Jan 7, 1915

Ike,

Could World War 1 have had any affect on ridership?  WW1 took place from early 1914 towards the end of 1918 which cover these notices on ridership.  My two cents.

Ed Locklin at mp367.

From: George Eichelberger
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 1:28 PM
To: PassengerCarList@groups.io
Cc: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Sleeping Var Passengers out of Washington week of Jan 7, 1915

I posted the attached to the SouthernRailway.io group yesterday and added the Dec 11, 1914 memo today. Other than business being down, it appears the PRR was demanding an increased share of the Pullman fares on trains through Washington. Obviously, more research is needed…is any one aware of what the issue was….circa 1914?

Ike

Begin forwarded message:

From: george eichelberger <geichelberger@...>
Date: November 19, 2020 at 1:06:04 PM EST
To: "main@southernrailway.groups.io" <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>

From the SRHA Archives:

Southern Railway passenger traffic was down in 1915. Washington headquarters asked for almost continuous reports on Pullman passengers, usually to determine if lines should be discontinued. Although a comprehensive list of Pullman Line Numbers on the Southern has never been located in the Presidents’ or Mechanical Dept. files, the summaries sent to Washington give a good sense of how many different lines operated between various city pairs. In this example, trains out of Washington, DC.