locked Re: Whale Oil and Southern Railway shipment information in the Fairfax Harrison period

C J Wyatt

Almost certainly tank cars.  General American Tank Car Journeys published by General American Tank Car Corporation in 1931 has a whole page (P. 99) devoted to 'whale oil'. From that page: "whole ship loads of whale oil are transferred by tank cars to inland soap manufacturers."

Jack Wyatt

On Sunday, December 6, 2020, 11:10:18 PM EST, Thunder via groups.io <t_pearson1212@...> wrote:

I would assume box cars as well, unless in its oil form maybe a tank? I looked for a ship named Pythia, none from that era, however there was a shipping company out of Glasgow Scotland that had ships used to process whale oil. It didn’t give much information on how the oil was processed or transported on the ship. If it had been hydrogenated it would be in a white solid substance. Perfect for a box car.

I am wondering if there are any publicity photos from this?

Todd Pearson