locked Re: New E8s coming

George Eichelberger

Rapido’s work is usually superb. Quite some time ago, they asked for, and received, a number of SRHA drawings. I followed up with them and was told it would be a while before they could get to the Es.

Like many topics, there are Southern and EMD E-8 drawings in the SRHA archives. A typical problem (with any model manufacturer) is we will get a request for information and drawings that must be responded to immediately. We always give the high quality producers the fastest response possible but I cannot seem to get the point across that we do not have the ability to “push a button” to find, copy or scan everything they might use. I’m not talking about Rapido but sometimes we will get requests for some detail item and I’ll ask/suggest if they need something else and get no response.

There are projects in the works right now that have been in process for nearly a year. I am reasonably sure we will see models produced from that work but there is no guarantee. We had requests for O Scale E-8s a few years ago, ditto HO Hogshead box cars. Not to mention two requests for Big John’s and Silversides gons before a company actually produced them. Some projects are very successful. We sent Gary Wright 50+ drawings he used to produce his bay window cabs. I don’t remember the number of Big John drawings we sent but ExactRail must have used every one to produce their exquisite model.

This year has been particularly bad for anyone going to Chattanooga and taking the time to research any project. Authors send us book deadlines and model produces talk about how fast they need drawings. I tell people there are no paid research clerks at the archives but they are welcome to come in and do their own research. There are deadlines for TIES articles and general work in the archives that need to be done that cannot be set aside for requests that may never amount to anything except someone getting a load of free labor and drawings. (No one has ever been charged!) One thing we cannot do….requests are kept confidential for obvious business reasons so we cannot simply ask volunteers to look for info. That limits the amount of help we can provide.

SRHA will work with any serious model maker on any Southern or Central of GA prototype…..within reason.

Ike

On Dec 26, 2020, at 7:49 AM, Thunder via groups.io <t_pearson1212@...> wrote:

I do have a buddy at the BRHS that is in contact with them about the issues with the Q ones. When the SW1200’s came out and were not correct for the Q, they took care of it and fixed the errors before production.

I don’t know if SRHA has anyone that would want to send these concerns, but it would probably be a good idea to have them send a email .

Todd P

On Dec 25, 2020, at 10:48 PM, David Friedlander <davidjfriedlander@...> wrote:

Very nice for the HO folks.  Good on them for having the right fuel tank arrangement.

I'm not an expert, but if the artwork is representative of the final product, not only is that check letter the wrong size, I think they're a few other issues, primarily on the roof:
1. Missing the 48" fan in the center of the roof.
2. Missing the firecracker antenna
3. The steam generator equipment looks to be in the wrong location and should possibly be double what is shown.
4. The horn should be M5R24 instead of all-forward facing.
5. From what I've seen in photos, the rooftop airtank piping is off.
6. I think I see the levers for the winterization hatches on the roof in the rear.  I never saw those in photos either.

I have no skin in the game, but maybe someone who is close to their design team should maybe let them know and double check their detailing.

David Friedlander

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 11:35 PM Robert W. Grabarek, Jr. <grabarek@...> wrote:

Those rascals got the check digit too large!

Bob Grabarek