locked Re: SR Diesel Order Specs

Bill Schafer

Chris:

When SRHA had its annual meeting in Cincinnati in the spring of 1995, one of the activities was a tour of the facilities at Ludlow. We were pretty much given the run of the place and were well cared for by General Foreman Tom Kraft. NS arranged for the uniquely painted GP59 4610 to be on hand, and we could go through the diesel shop. We were told during our tour that the shop had been built before WWII to service the DL-109 diesels SOU bought for the Ponce de Leon and Florida Sunbeam. I never followed up to see exactly when the building was constructed. I’d love to run a story in TIES sometime about Ludlow and environs.

—Bill Schafer

On Dec 30, 2020, at 11:05, CMayhew <chris.mayhew611@...> wrote:

Thanks for sharing this and all of the things you pull out of the archives. There wasn't any doubt about me re-upping my SRHA membership, but this made me re-up a couple of weeks ago for two years with a donating portion.

Anyway, I wonder if at some point the president files or other records might turn up when the first diesel shops were ordered built (and actually built)? Ludlow as open by 1947 (but perhaps earlier). Since Ludlow's diesel shop burned in 2020, I'm wondering if it (and possibly with a few others around the system) were definitely the first on the Southern. I definitely would be up for writing a TIES article on that if I learned more, but I haven't seen any records so far about the earliest days of the diesel shops in Ludlow or elsewhere.

-Chris Mayhew