locked The Interstate Coal Fleet: 1960-1966?

Evan Miller

Hello everyone, I’m looking for information on what happened to the Interstate RR coal fleet after being acquired by Southern.

I know many were placed into captive “yellow ball” service for the Westmoreland transloader in Appalachia, however it wasn't until 1966 that the transloader was built and shipping coal.

So what exactly did Southern do with the fleet during the interim period of 1960-1966? Where they simply mixed into the main Southern coal fleet? Where they generally kept in the former Interstate territory like the RS3 fleet? When did Southern begin assigning offset hoppers to INT ownership?

Thanks for any help!
-Evan Miller