locked Re: The Interstate Coal Fleet: 1960-1966?

Ed Mims

I don’t know what was used by the Southern to permanently couple (“articulate”) cars but recall that American Steel Foundries (ASF) offered (and may still) a cast steel connector for use between two cars to replace the couplers. This connector allowed for horizontal and vertical  curves to the same degree as conventional couplers. This is what I would guess was used.

For cars with two handbrakes (one on each end) the Interchange Rules and FRA rules require that the car owner designate the “A” and “B” ends with stenciling.

For what it might be worth…

Ed Mims

Jacksonville, FL