locked Re: The Interstate Coal Fleet: 1960-1966?

Jason Greene

It was my understanding that some of the cars retained their knuckles between the two cars and the cut levers removed.

Jason Greene

On Jan 17, 2021, at 12:29 PM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Dan:

I don’t think the concept of joining two 50-T hoppers was based on reduced costs. After the “Big John” case was settled (won), the Southern wanted to offer 100-T tariffs on other commodities. With few 100-T open hoppers available, permanently coupling two 50-T cars was an expedient. More research is needed as no drawing of the drawbars (if used) has been located.

In any case, the paired cars did not last very long. Here is another snippet from a different spreadsheet. Photos of the “articulated”* cars are not common. If anyone has any they can send, we have plenty enough information to do a TIES article.

Ike

*”articulated” is not really a correct term, "permanently coupled” is a better description IMHO.

Sou
102819

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102820

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102821

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102822

4/12/1968

articulated hopper car
In "Report of Equipment Dismantled February 1968"

Sou
102825

4/12/1968

articulated hopper car
In "Report of Equipment Dismantled February 1968"

Sou
102825

4/12/1968

articulated hopper car
dismantled during February, 1968

Sou
102826

2/19/1968

articulated hopper car
Dismantled during January 1968

Sou
102829

11/1/1967

articulated hopper car
Authorized for retirement at Charlotte

Sou
102830

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102831

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102832

12/1/1967

articulated hopper car
Authorized for retirement at Sevier, TN

Sou
102832

2/19/1968

articulated hopper car
Dismantled during January 1968

Sou
102837

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102839

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102842

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102844

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102848

1/17/1968

articulated hopper car
In Report of Equipment Dismantled December, 1967

Sou
102848

1/17/1968

articulated hopper car
dismantled during December, 1967

Sou
102849

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102851

7/2/1970

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102854

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102857

7/2/1970

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102858

3/15/1971

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102858

3/15/1971

articulated hopper car
1 of 277 BO cars recommended for retirement

Sou
102859

7/2/1970

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102863

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102864

12/1/1967

articulated hopper car
Authorized for retirement at Sevier, TN

Sou
102864

2/19/1968

articulated hopper car
dismantled during January, 1968

Sou
102865

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102866

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102868

7/2/1970

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102872

7/2/1970

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102878

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102879

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102880

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102880

3/15/1971

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102880

3/15/1971

articulated hopper car
1 of 277 BO cars recommended for retirement

Sou
102888

3/24/1969

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102893

3/15/1971

articulated hopper car
recommended for retirement

Sou
102893

3/15/1971

articulated hopper car
1 of 277 BO cars recommended for retirement

Sou
102897

1/17/1968

articulated hopper car
In Report of Equipment Dismantled December, 1967

Sou
102900

1/17/1968

articulated hopper car
In Report of Equipment Dismantled November, 1967

On Jan 17, 2021, at 10:55 AM, Daniel Bourque <deltabourque@...> wrote:

What I haven’t been able to figure out with these “articulated” cars is how they were coupled. I would assume a drawbar, but photos aren’t clear. How do you designate an A and B end with brake wheels on both? I know the idea was to cut costs for shipping because it was technically a single-car movement, but still a strange car.

I’ve seen pictures of these cars made from either ex-Interstate hoppers (similar to AAR rib-side hoppers) or rebuilt war-emergency hoppers with the diagonal bracing. Paint schemes also seem pretty varied including both black and red. Some cars have the big split letters, and some have “SOUTHERN” on the “left” car and the car number on the right.

Dan

On Jan 17, 2021, at 7:33 AM, sgwarner88@... wrote:

Those hybrids were strange looking.   Around ‘65 or so I recall seeing one standing under the Gay St. viaduct, and asked a Sou. Carman what they were.  His answer was less than printable, likely because I suspect that they would have a double AB valve and brake systems (Plus eight journals) for one car.  I seem to recall that it was a combination of off-set hoppers, permanently coupled.  The split lettering was an eye-caitching.