From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of George Eichelberger
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 1:24 PM
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Big Reds

If I may introduce SRHA member Dick Fisher……

After a career with WABCO and Southern Railway, Dick is THE expert on air brakes and all manner of hardware.

Ike

On Jan 19, 2021, at 2:03 PM, Dick Fisher <Gladhand1@...> wrote:

The P-S cars were Big Reds and the Greenville cars were Little Big Reds.

Dick

On 1/19/2021 1:17 PM, George Eichelberger wrote:

We need to confirm the term was not more broadly used but here is a SR memo describing Specification F-127 (Sou 75000-75799) and F-200 (Sou 75800-76599) 100-T, 49’ 4003 cu ft hoppers as “Big Reds”.

The term “little Big Reds” was used for different (?) car series.

Ike

PS The easiest way for us to do research is with scanned versions of our archives files. When we can get back to our work sessions, that will be an important project! (Our next question will be who by and how can they be accessed?)

<1968-1-16 Big Red hoppers to be scrapped copy.jpeg>

 but I believe both the “little big reds” and “big reds” referred to specific groups of.

On Jan 19, 2021, at 12:06 PM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

Speaking of coal cars, of which I had zero interaction with during my time at the Southern, and rarely photographed afterwards, there is the question of the "Big Reds".  Does the term refer to all the larger coal hoppers?  Or only to the 4-bay Greenvilles?  Or the 6-bay Pullmans?  Or?  I seem to recall seeing the term on one or more of the NCP folders I sorted at the archives.

Thanks

Scott Chatfield