locked Re: Index to Southern contracts Vol XII

George Eichelberger

A quick note about the index…

The contracts, and attached drawings are being scanned as quickly as possible but at this point there are gaps as you go through the numbers. Some contracts only have the cover and one or two detail pages scanned.

For example, a sales contract for cars from Pullman-Standard consists mostly of information about interest rates, payment schedules and guarantees. The details about exactly what cars were ordered, what spec. they were to be built to, etc. are (I think) more useful to the typical SR modeler or historian. Those pages are most certainly scanned.

Other agreements simply repeat the contents of other contracts. Shen I first discovered the Pullman contracts were included, I hoped specific line numbers (routes) and other such operating data might be included. They are not, about the only thing different is the names on the signature pages. Agreements with the Union News Co., Western Union and the phone companies are in the same category. (The pole line agreements are not a lot of interest to railfans but when I was negotiating with communications companies, ATT, etc. for fiber optic rights of way on Norfolk Southern property, it was a “hoot” to bring out a 100 year old agreement for the same ROW.)

If anyone is interested in a particular agreement, send me a note and I’ll check to see it it has been scanned or I will look for it. If anyone wants to do an article for TIES on the subject of a contract, we’ll give that high priority.)

Ike

On Dec 24, 2018, at 11:41 PM, Jason Greene <jason.p.greene@...> wrote:

You can convert the google doc that you created to a PDF.  But why not just leave it as a google doc? Those are searchable too.

Jason Greene

On Dec 24, 2018, at 10:54 PM, David Friedlander <davidjfriedlander@...> wrote:

So I will attempt the OCR "assignment".

I will say that I was able to OCR the first jpeg (not TIFF) image in a matter of 20 seconds just by opening the image up in Google Documents. It created a document with 2 pages - one with the image and second with the text.  I had to fix 2 letters because they were not crisp enough in the image.  Not exactly what I had in mind... I was hoping for a searchable PDF, but I will see what else I can do with what you gave us and throw it in my Google Drive to provide back to you to distribute back out to everyone.  Maybe I convert the image to PDF and then see if OCR will work on that.

David Friedlander

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 3:37 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
Here are three links to essentially the same file on Google, Drive. They are tiff, jpeg and a zip versions of the scans for the index to Southern Contracts Volume XII. There are approximately 28 Volumes of bound contracts in the SRHA archives, Vol. XII is dated June 30, 1918. It includes all contracts in effect at that time. When a contract expired was cancelled or replaced it simply dropped out of the following volume’s index.

Any contracts begun after 6-30-1918 are found in later volumes. If there is enough interest, we can scan and publish the index to Vol 28. Those two will provide a fair idea of all of the various SR contracts, trackage rights, agreements and joint facilities.

The jpeg version is about 320 Mb, the full 300 dpi resolution version is 783Mb and the zipped version of the jpeg folder is 185Mb.

If someone will volunteer, the tiff version can be “OCRd” to give a fully searchable text version.

The three Google Drive links are: