locked Re: Birmingham AL

John Stewart

HI Charles and all

You are very welcome.  I think the brochure was given to me by Jason Parham who is the GM&O guru in these parts.

John

John R Stewart

www.bhamrails.info

205-901-3790

image004

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles Harris
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 3:49 PM
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Birmingham AL

Hi John

Thanks for this great info and maps.   Some great photos in the brochure.

Charles

On 1/02/21 2:30 PM, John Stewart wrote:

HI folks

Ingalls Iron Works in Birmingham is gone c.2006.  There is a good video of the empty plant on YouTube by Anderson Williams and friends.

https://youtu.be/zFMj-tT4vD0

2005 imagery from Google Earth Pro.  It was adjacent to the L&N mainline just SW of downtown Birmingham, and just west of I-65 at University Drive.

I’ve always understood that the locomotive was built in Pascagoula, MS, but I’m no expert on the subject.

John

John R Stewart

www.bhamrails.info

205-901-3790

image004

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles Harris
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:58 PM
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Birmingham AL

Hi
Just for interest sake is the main railroad on attached doc Southern Railway or all possibly L&N ?    Tallking 1940-50s.       I do not have any knowledge of this area.

Note that there was a siding or a transverse thru the Ingalls Iron Works factory in Birmingham AL.  Still there ??

Thanks
Charles

Join main@SouthernRailway.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.