locked Re: Savannah and Atlanta Cab X-256 (and SOU X-255)

A&Y Dave in MD

David,

You mentioned hosam.com as your source for painting info.     I pay the upkeep on the site and domain name now that Sam and Hank have both passed away.    I have not tried to edit/add to that site over the years, though I probably should.   If anyone knows of egregious errors on that site, please let me know and I'll remove them.

At one point, I had hoped to carry on Sam's work to provide even more information in such an accessible format, especially on the Southern Railway, but then it was hard enough some years to remember to pay the server bill and double check the site hadn't been hacked.   So it has remained static for more than a decade.

I would be happy to remove errors though, if they are clear and egregious.   Most of the time, I think Sam got it right (or at least fairly chose between options when the evidence was not 100% clear).   I only keep the site up as a memorial to Sam and because I gave Hank my word I would continue it as long as I could.  But I don't want to create confusion by promoting errors that have been proven wrong.  Sam would have wanted those corrected, too.

I often wonder what will happen to southern.railfan.net if Tom Daspit runs out of track some day, too.  I use that site as a reference at least 3-4 times a year, and I bet a lot of others do too.

Thoughts like these are the reason I keep hosam.com up and why I donate to the SRHA.  SRHA is the only organization that is dedicated to preserving the Southern's historical information. An individual may have a friend or two, like Hank and then me, to help when they falter. But individuals still fall to the wayside at some point.  Collective action is more sustainable.  Our best bet to preserve the legacy is to help the SRHA  preserve and share its information.

Dave Bott

Hi all,

I just received my 2020Q4 TIES.  It was very well done. Kudos to those who take the time to produce these articles.

I now have excuses to run 30-car silversides trains.

In any case, I had a question about the S&A caboose shown on page 23.  When did this NE-style caboose get repainted from the (White and/or Off-White) to SOU red/yellow?

Here's a photo of it prior to the repaint:
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/caboose/sa256.jpg

I might as well ask - Would the colors match S&A 251 on page 22? Looking at Sam McCall's website, it looks like my initial thoughts are correct: http://hosam.com/roads/sa.html  (white sides, black roof, caboose red ends.)

The image archive also has an interesting photo of X-255. When did it get its windows plated over and repainted into Southern? These look like neat projects for way down the road.
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/caboose/soux255billbedellandoverva7181.html

Thanks,
David Friedlander

--