locked Silverside gon in Bristol VA

Jim King

A few weeks ago, there was a post re: an ebay slide of a Silverside gon.  I replied that I have an original negative showing the N&W 4-8-0 475 it was coupled to with info on the envelope stating Bristol VA on September 2, 1960.  A reply to that was to the affect the info had to be wrong because a regional "expert" said it would never have happened..  There is an ebay listing now showing this same car in the same location on 9/2/60 just as my negative envelope stated.  The car is clearly parked in front of the Bristol yard office to an N&W tender.  N&W had fully dieselized in May 1960 so this was a display of some sort, possibly another NRHS convention since September was a common month for those gatherings in that era.

Here's the link:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/COPY-SLIDE-Southern-Railway-aluminum-hopper-1147-Duplicateal-Ektachrome-slid/163464547325?hash=item260f3f0bfd:g:MMYAAOSw~KNcLSQT

While I have no knowledge of the event that led to this strange meeting of a new Silverside coupled to a dolled-up 4-8-0 (the lead engine used in the famous NRHS 1957 convention tripleheader on the Blacksburg Branch), saying that such a meeting would "never have happened" simply because an "expert" said so is how misinformation spreads.  Memories are faulty, especially ones from 58 years ago.  I rely on multiple historical accounts with photographic evidence whenever possible.