locked Re: Depot for St. Elmo, TN

A&Y Dave in MD

Maybe because I’m a regular visitor and know who to avoid or how to ask, but I’ve rarely had a bad experience at the national archives II in College Park.  I’ve had less interaction with the image crew on the second floor since I tend to make my own copies.

There is one male archivist who fits the lunch focused hands-in-pockets description you gave.

Give me the retrieval info for the map and when they open it back up I can go get the rest for you.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Feb 12, 2021, at 8:18 PM, Warren Stephens <wdstephens@...> wrote:

John, I am not map poor when it comes to Chattanooga. I have a big horse-blanket size late 1890s vintage atlas David Steinberg gave me that has a very detailed track layout. It has street railway and belt trackage and trunk line trackage etc. I also have all the valuation maps for my areas of interest which is TAG and CofG. I have many other railroad and non railroad maps of the Chattanooga area. I would be interested in a copy of the map you reference but my dealings with the National Archives have always been unpleasant. I once flew up in person only to be told they could only print 10 of the 30 pages I wanted because they were snowed under meanwhile everyone was standing around doing absolutely nothing. Well they did take a few moments to discuss lunch plans but other than that they all stood there with their hands in their pockets. Our tax dollars at work. But then if it were easy it wouldn't be fun right?

Warren
On Friday, February 12, 2021, 11:56:18 AM EST, John Stewart <jstew@...> wrote:

HI folks, Warren and Ike

I worked for an engineering firm based in Chattanooga, Hensely-Schmidt, although I was in Atlanta and Nashville, with only temporary assignment in Chattanooga for bridge inspection work with a wonderful fellow named John Allen, as my boss.  He was former B&B Eng for Knoxville, having gone to work for Sou Ry out of NC State Civil Engineering program in 1952.  He later retired, went into construction business in Knoxville, sold out, went into consulting for a couple of years, then back to NS in Atlanta coordinating bridge consulting work for NS

Anyway, at one time, I was attending a meeting with the company folks and the Chattanooga Chamber staff about future riverfront development and downtown redevelopment.  This was in the late 1970’s

In this meeting a wonderful map was used, a blueprint style, which showed all the RR’s in town and labeled industries and spurs.  I believe it was produced as part of the national terminal conference coordinating program of the federal government.  All major terminals were required to develop these, to coordinate redundancies and overlap among the RR’s as there were many going into receivership in the Depression years.

I have the map of Birmingham, dated 1935.  Much of the program documents are in the National Archives.

Anyway the program was shut down very quickly when it dawned on the government staffers that eliminating redundancies and overlap in cities would cost RR people their jobs – not the thing the government wanted to do in a Depression.

So, wondering, Warren, if you are familiar with that map?  I am attaching the title block from the Birmingham map as well as the list of RR’s, which I reckon would have been similar to Chattanooga with a couple of exceptions.  The National Archives told me that they didn’t have the Birmingham map in their files.  Bham ranked 55th among the nations terminals, with Chicago being #1.  Don’t know how Chattanooga would have been ranked.

I’m also attaching a pdf of images from Railway Age articles from a microfilm reader at Bham Public.

Are you familiar with a map from this program for Chattanooga?

My  Birmingham copy is about 7’ x 3’ and hangs above the main yard in the railroad room.  Great resource.

John

John R Stewart

www.bhamrails.info

205-901-3790