locked Re: Greensboro map was Re: [SouthernRailway] Dining Car Crews Sleeping on their Cars

Rodney Shu

One last thing.  When I was a year and a half old, my dad was a Trainmaster there. We lived in the Hill St. apartments and I snuck off twice and they found me in the creek that ran through the park.   Wonder I didn't drown.   😊

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> on behalf of Graves, William W <wwg@...>
Sent: Monday, March 8, 2021 10:06 AM
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Subject: Re: Greensboro map was Re: [SouthernRailway] Dining Car Crews Sleeping on their Cars

Rodney, Kevin and All –

> With the closing of the Chandler Concrete plant (near Battleground and Mill Street), the evidence of the west bound A&Y is disappearing.

I had wondered if that was still in operation.  I always thought Greensboro lost a great transit opportunity when they shortened that line.

> I am very interested that there was a derrick stored on the A&Y north of the water treatment plant.

Well, I was hanging out there in the 1956-58 time frame (When I was 10-12) and we would play on it.  (Not sure I ever saw a train on that line, although I know there were.)  Memory says the derrick was very small and not powered.  Other than that it would have been about 2/3’s the way to the Chandler siding, I’m afraid I don’t have much else on it.

> The military reservation here was known as the ORD – Overseas Replacement Depot.

Thank you Kevin, I could not remember the name for the area!

> It would be great if you could share any photographs that you may have of Greensboro and trains

Sorry, I was too young to know I needed to be taking pictures and while my father was a semi-rail fan, it did not extend to picture taking.

And yes Rodney, it was Latham Park with the Little League fields.  When I lived across from there, they still had a park train too.  The creosote plant must have been gone by the time I was there.

Thanks for all the memories!

- Bill