locked Re: Southern Lantern Fuel

Felix Freeman

Anytime a locomotive consist is readied and offered for service there is a checklist of required supplies.  These requirements vary from railroad to railroad and have evolved over a period of time.  In the early 70s Pegram Shop was still in business and dispatching locomotives for the passenger trains.  One of the required items on each consist was a red globe kerosene lantern.   At that time I was recently hired and working there and decided that I needed one.  I found out that these lanterns were supplied and purchased from The Noland Company.  Noland was a hardware and industrial supply company.  Southern did a lot of business with these people over the years.  One day I had the opportunity to go to their place of business with the intent of purchasing one.  The salesman led me to a room where there was a huge pile of these lanterns.  He told me to take my pick and I bought one.  For $4.00.  I still have this.  It is my only Southern lantern.  Somewhere I still have my receipt.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 7:55 AM Thunder via groups.io <t_pearson1212=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Lamp oil is the way to go.

Do you have a pic of the lantern?

Todd P

On Mar 11, 2021, at 11:06 PM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

What model and make is it?

I use regular lamp oil in my lanterns, not kerosene.

Scott Chatfield

-------- Original message --------
From: Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...>
Date: 03/11/2021 11:27 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "main@SouthernRailway.groups.io" <main@southernrailway.groups.io>
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Southern Lantern Fuel

I was lucky enough to buy a Southern Lantern which appears to have never been used (maybe it is a reproduction?) and would like to light it.

It is stamped with "Use Only Long Lasting Oil".

What is the correct fuel to use?  I was thinking kerosene but now not so sure.

Thanks,

Allen Cain

--
Allen Cain
Modeling the Southern in 1955 in HO Scale