From: Bill Schafer <bill4501@...>
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Mar 16, 2021 12:32 pm
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Dining Car Crew Cycles

Southern Railway’s trains 47/48, the Southerner, became trains 1/2, the Southern Crescent, in the February 1970 timetable. In October 1970, you were riding the Southern Crescent.

On Mar 16, 2021, at 12:03, Steve Ellis via groups.io <meadowbrookdairy@...> wrote:

I think that October 1970 was not pre-Southern Crescent, was it? I am positive that the train went through Birmingham at that time. I remember looking at the hat checks above peoples seats and trying to figure out the abbreviations.

Having just arrived from the Maritime provinces in Canada I didn’t know the country as well as I wanted to. I thought that this train terminated in Atlanta but I could see that it was not going to do so.

I remember figuring out the Birmingham abbreviation whatever it was, and then being perplexed over the “NO” written on the hat checks. There seemed  to be a lot of those.  Then I realized where it was, and I was wishing that I had bought a ticket there instead! I wanted to go farther.

Steve Ellis

On Mar 16, 2021, at 11:45 AM, Robert Hanson via groups.io <RHanson669@...> wrote:

In the pre-Southern Crescent days, when the Crescent (Nos. 37-38) ran via Montgomery and Mobile, the Southern's dining car crews were based in Atlanta, the West Point Route crews were based in Montgomery, and the L&N crews were based in Mobile.

I got this information from a file that I photocopied in the NS archives a number of years ago.

Bob Hanson
Loganville, GA