locked Re: Southern box car preference, circa 1918

O Fenton Wells

I think this is interesting and appreciate your sharing it.
Thank you
Fenton

On Apr 13, 2021, at 12:23 PM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

I mentioned in an earlier post that the Southern was not particularly interested in obtaining 50-Ton USRA box cars. Here (attached) is a 9-20-1918 memo to SR President Fairfax Harrison explaining why 30-T capy box cars are more suited to Southern’s territory and traffic base. Note that in 1918, “The South” was still an agrarian economy with not much heavy manufacturing. The memo is as much about the Southern’s business environment as it was about box car design.

Comments please! There is no reason to fill up the .io list if this kind of material is not of interest to many people.

I believe it IS a reason for people to donate both their cash and their time working on the SRHA archives material!

Ike

<1918-9-20 comments on 50-T box cars Pg 1.jpeg>

<1918-9-20 comments on 50-T box cars Pg 2.jpeg>