locked Re: Southern box car preference, circa 1918

A&Y Dave in MD

Ike,

This complements the information in the 1934 conductor books for the Winston-Salem division over a decade later.  I was struck in the wheel reports on the relatively small tonnage values in loaded cars.  I wish I had more years of such data to track it.  Ton-miles and car load count statistics hide that aspect a bit.   These men knew the region and how to run their railway.

Dave

I mentioned in an earlier post that the Southern was not particularly interested in obtaining 50-Ton USRA box cars. Here (attached) is a 9-20-1918 memo to SR President Fairfax Harrison explaining why 30-T capy box cars are more suited to Southern’s territory and traffic base. Note that in 1918, “The South” was still an agrarian economy with not much heavy manufacturing. The memo is as much about the Southern’s business environment as it was about box car design.

Comments please! There is no reason to fill up the .io list if this kind of material is not of interest to many people.

I believe it IS a reason for people to donate both their cash and their time working on the SRHA archives material!

David Bott

Sent from David Bott's desktop PC