locked Re: Southern box car preference, circa 1918

George Eichelberger

Scott:

Thanks for the comment about attachments! I think you are setup as one of the list “owners”. I’ll check on that but among other things, it gives owners the ability to delete posts, and only attachments, I think.

Everyone probably knows there are two* Southern.io groups sponsored by SRHA, this one and “ModelingThe Southern”. As many people are on both, I hesitate to cross-post items on both but the distinction between modeling and prototype is not always clear cut. (The archives has kept me away from my workbench for the past few months but I hope to post more on “ModelingTheSouthern”.)

SRHA sees the .io groups as a way for people interested in the Southern Railway to pass information as well as an extension of the SRHA archives. I am not aware of any other list that has that linkage and uses it to distribute archives material. (Note: While we don’t take the time to put a copyright notice on every document, nothing posted from the archives should be used (to a large extent) commercially, in publications or distributed to others without permission.)

We expect to re-start full archives work sessions, in (hopefully) June. Please, everyone, make a plan to go to Chattanooga and spend some time at TVRM and the SRHA/L&NHS archives later this year.

Ike

* Actually, there are three .io lists. The third is for SRHA members only but so far, we are not limiting material only to members so it is not used much.

On Apr 13, 2021, at 11:02 PM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

Ike, the letter shows that the problem of cube vs tare is not a new one.  Truckers for years have begged for ever longer trailers because so many of their loads cube out before reaching the weight limit.  Then they beg for a higher weight limit.....

The letter also sheds light on the reason why tonnage numbers from back then don't seem to add up to our modern minds.  And by modern I mean post-1960.  We're used to many of our loads being darn close to the cars' load limits, because the cars were designed that way.  It wasn't always so.  "Here's a boxcar.  Fill it.  Or don't."

And I must again please ask list members to pay attention to how their email program handles attachments when they reply to an email.  Ike's email was nearly 1 MB.  Now we at least four replys containing Ike's original.  A 5 MB hit to our storage limit.  Storage space in Groups.io is not infinite and not free.

I know some email programs just resend the attachments and you have no way to stop them.  That's because too many programmers are idiots who write code that they never use.  Until it becomes legal to throw them into live volcanos it is a problem that will be tough to solve.  Your vigilance will be necessary.

Thank you.  I'll step down from my soapbox.

Please keep uncovering wonderful nuggets from the past Ike.  I've learned a lot about the Southern.

Scott Chatfield