locked SOU 42' Gondola Questions

David Friedlander

Hi all,

I've had a model of a 42' Gondola made by PSC for quite some time.  I'm trying to understand what I actually have. There is no documentation in the box and nothing really at all about this model online.  Maybe the SRHA helped PSC when this model was originally imported? It strikes me as an odd model to import, but it seems rare, so maybe it was a good choice.

I was originally looking to paint and letter it for GB 180441 as shown on the 6th page from the last page in the SOU freight car color guide despite some of the cosmetic differences.

The box-end says "Southern Railway 42' Gondola (6-door), Enterprise Rwy. Equipment Co.  A photo of the box end:

My car is unpainted, but I found one that someone did up as car 315784 on brasstrains:
https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/119483/O-Brass-Model-PSC-SOU-Southern-42-Gondola-315784-Custom-Lhee-Do-Wrong-Box

While done well, I know good and well not to trust someone else's paint job. I took a look at my OCT 1968 ORER for both the 180200-180999 series and the 315700-315949 series and here is what I see below:

Interestingly, I measured the outside length (over the "strikers") to be 10.5" which translates to 42'. Even with couplers it still would be a foot short of the 45'11" listed for either series.  I am pretty sure the 180441 was wrong, but it looks like 315784 may be a foobie as well. (The dimensions are interestingly identical...more on that next.)

I then took a look at my Freight equipment diagram book (vol1) and after looking through the gondolas (all from a 1971 diagram book), found a few drawings that describe the above series, but not necessarily the car I have.  These are on pages G2154 and G2155. There in the special notes, it actually says that 315700-315949 were rebuilt into the 180200-180999 series in 1968.  The diagrams also note that the drop-bottom doors in the sill were made by Enterprise, which is the same name shown on the box ends, even though the car builder was very likely someone like Mt. Vernon.

So my questions are:
1. What do I have a model of? ie - What series is from?
2. Do we know if any made it to late the 60's? (and without retrofit)
3. If its unlikely such a car made it to the late 60's then I like my idea of sticking with my foobie repaint of it into 180441.  With that said, even with the ORER and the Diagram Book, I still need to figure out the LD LMT and the BLT Date. Any thoughts on those? The CAPY is 110000 and the LTWT is 45100. The "new" date would be in 1968, but I'm going to go with what I see on page G2155 and say this was built sometime back in 1940.

Thanks,
David Friedlander