locked Re: Covered hoppers in kaolin clay service - 1964

D. Scott Chatfield

Ike wrote:

> References seem to be missing for tank cars used in clay slurry service, not used in the early 60s?

Clay slurry (in water) did not become common until the mid '70s, and when it did it was all carried in privately owned tank cars.  ACFX, GATX, NATX, UTLX, etc.  Supplying tank cars was not the railroads' problem.

Clay slurry in the form of ink was shipped in tank cars in the '60s.  The carrier was flammable, so these tanks can be spotted by their placards.

I know JM Huber's plant on the Southern's Brunswick line (at Huber, just SE of Macon) shipped ink.  Don't know about the other plants.

Scott Chatfield