locked Roof hatch boxcar uses

D. Scott Chatfield

A friend asked me today if the Southern's roof hatch boxcars (AAR class LC) were used for anything other than kaolin.  When I worked there they were mostly used for kaolin shipments to Mexico, and I think a customer or two in New England that couldn't unload covered hoppers.  Is anyone aware of another commodity shipped in these cars?

Bob Harpe from Savannah, one long time and prolific modeler of the Southern, has given clinics about the roof hatch boxes.  He has also been the host of the RPM meets in Savannah for years.  I'm told he had a heart attack this week so please keep him in your prayers.

Scott Chatfield

Scott Chatfield