From: A&Y Dave in MD <dbott@...>
To: Jason Greene <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, May 26, 2021 4:55 pm
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Blank Wheel Report

Attached are both blank and filled in versions from Conductor HF Snow circa 1934.  It was an official form 714, but was apparently called a Train Book.  However, needs must, and Conductor Snow also used a  "Car Book" that only had blue-ruled lines, like college notebook paper, bound into a pasteboard cover sized to fit a pocket (about 10" tall, but only a 4-5 inches wide when closed).   I also have examples of the engineer time/delay books, which are more (to my mind) like checkbooks or police ticket books--they have a bound stub with perforations to detach a report for double bookkeeping.

A proper history of the evolution of paper work and later computer work of tracking trains and cars and shipments would probably fill a 10-12 volume.  The Southern wasn't just innovative in terms of freight car and MoW equipment.  They did all kinds of interesting and innovative things around subjects that might put the usual "railfan" to sleep, but is certainly of historical interest.

Dave

Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 7:42:17 PM, you wrote:

Could you share with us all and Tom explain how they work?

Jason Greene

On May 25, 2021, at 7:22 PM, Tom Holley via groups.io <th498@...> wrote:

Hello, Warren.

Yes, that is exactly the form I'm looking for. A TA&G form would be fine, and I sure would appreciate it.

Regards,

Tom Holley

--
David Bott