locked Re: Southern Railway Bridge Colors

Stephen Warner

I also do not know with authenticity the colors of steel structures in the 30's, but I do know that SR "greased" its steel structures in the 70's to preserve the steel. However, SR had a unit train fall through a bridge into the Big Warrior River in the late 70's, and I was there during the restoration process.  It was a through truss of which a hanger had broken.  So SR hired an ultrasonic inspection of the entire trestle, after scraping it clean.  I watched them run the tests (and I wrote the Bridge Inspection Standard Procedure), and they discovered multiple cracked hangers that the grease hid.  So SR/Joel DeValle (I believe) ordered all steel to be degreased and uncovered after that.