locked Re: Question/Request for information on Ex-Southern Railway Heavyweight Coach

TIM ANDREWS

I'll try to run down to the archives and look in the next few days to see what I can find.

On Thursday, June 3, 2021, 12:34:56 PM EDT, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

I'm probably not an in depth researcher as y'all but I was trying to put together a book on the SR smooth side rebuilds and one mystery I could never find was what coach did the Hayne shop use to make into new partitioned, smooth side coach No.1209.
If you know or have the data on this conversion please share.
Thanks
Fenton

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 12:13 PM C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:
Tim, I recall us talking about it years ago. If I remember, you had a lot of information on dispositions and my strength was the early Southern Railway passenger cars. I still would like to do something, but my research priorities are topics which have more general relevance. However I still get excited (like solving a puzzle) if I find out something new concerning cars from predecessor lines. We need to get someone with database expertise to help us get this thing set up.

Jack Wyatt

On Thursday, June 3, 2021, 11:22:47 AM EDT, TIM ANDREWS <andrewstim@...> wrote:

I also worked on an all time roster of Southern Railway passenger cars. my last print out came from dBase IV and is dated over twenty years ago.  It would seem that between the archives and some work done by individuals we should be able to take another stab at it using the tools that are available now.

On Thursday, June 3, 2021, 09:44:22 AM EDT, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

Tim, thanks for finding the answer. Years ago when I was trying to create an all time roster of Southern Railway passenger cars, a similar renumbering incident, number 1367 in your list, bedeviled me. The original Southern 1367 was a coach built by Pullman in 1909. Therefore I refer to the excursion car as No. 1367 (2nd).

Jack Wyatt

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 10:12:09 PM EDT, TIM ANDREWS <andrewstim@...> wrote:

From the SRHA archives today comes the following from the car maintenance record for car 3659 and dated 11/1/1966
Inline image

Using the diagram book from Another Man's Treasure we see that the car was originally 1632 which fits the series reported by Jack Wyatt.  According to Diagram 30-F-38 the car was built by Bethlehem 1924 was air conditioned in May of 1939 had Green Frieze Pat. 60 upholstery, the "8-3 interior color scheme and the tile #101 and 107 aisle stripe". It weighted 149,600 pounds.  From the diagram it had walk over seats and seated 72.  Although the date is not given on diagram 31-F-51 dated 12/7/48 the car received reclining seats and reconfigured restrooms and was renumbered 1083.  The seating was dropped to 48 seats.  26 cars received this conversion, some at Hayne and some at Chattanooga.

Seeing as how the seating was raised to 72 reclining seats and the restrooms were removed, we would assume that took place around 1966.

It is interesting to note that the 1058 on the list above is now at TVRM and still has the large restrooms and lower seating capacity.

I will keep digging through stuff and see what else I can find.

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 05:18:23 PM EDT, Stephen Warner <sgwarner88@...> wrote:

Having rode these cars starting in 1960 all the way through the end of SR's scheduled service (on the Knoxville Division and CNO&TP), I can say that you have an "original" car interior, at least through the 1950's or so.  I also rode many of these cars that SR "upgraded" from the globe lights and steel overhead racks with newer streamline/modernized-type racks and fluorescent lighting (harsh and glaring at night).  I always felt that I was riding Southern back in the 30's in these cars (after all, it was still Timetable and train order operation back then), and tried to pick out one in the consist whenever I climbed on.  She will look great.

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd