locked Re: Stamped car numbers?

Ed Mims

Ike, I believe it was fairly common practice among railroads to stamp the owning roads reporting marks (Southern had none) and car number on the center sill. You might find the location on a paint and lettering (stenciling arrangement) drawing from a car builder of even a Southern Rwy drawing. I believe this was a "Recommended Practice" by the AAR. If you have an old copy of the AAR's Manual of Standards and Recommended Practices look in there for the recommended location.

The steel stamped stencils are difficult to find on old cars unless you know where to look.

Ed Mims