locked Re: Southern Railway History

David Carpenter

Strange that the letter states “never intended for publication.” I used to go to the North Carolina Collection in the Louis Round Wilson Library in Chapel Hill in the early 70’s and a person wearing white gloves would go retrieve this book for me to sit and read.. It was well-worn with brown leather wraps. I was stunned when I saw the set laying on the SRHA table at a train show in Winston-Salem 20-30 years ago it seems! Best $100 bill I spent that year! Thanks to whoever decided to bind them!!!!!

Others are selling entire collections of their magazines back issues for $99-$129 roughly it seems. I agree with others that is the market. Maybe 10% off with a new membership even.

David

On Aug 22, 2021, at 6:32 PM, Carl Ardrey <carlardrey2005@...> wrote:

We do have a few copies left.
CEA
On 08/22/2021 4:38 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

In 2005, Norfolk Southern donated a number of printed, but unbound, copies of “The Legal History of the Southern Railway”  to SRHA. Written in 1901, by future SR President Fairfax Harrison, with supplements in 1921 and 1958, they represent the most complete and accurate description of the creation and development of the Southern Railway System.

They were printed, packaged and kept in the NS Archives until they were donated to SRHA. In 2005, SRHA President Dan Sparks had them trimmed and bound and we sold them through our Company Store, “The Grab". While the bindings were new, the SRHA versions are not reprints. Unfortunately, the limited supply has been sold out for quite some time.

For anyone fortunate to have copies of the two Volume set, here is the response sent to almost anyone asking Southern for a copy from 1901 to 2006. From the SRHA - Southern Railway Presidents’ Files collection Box 192A File 21:

Ike

<1917-1-22 Response to request for SR History.jpeg>